Pages

Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Found Treasure: Mary Edna Worley's Tombstone Photo


Try as I might to get all the evidence I can for my blog, sometimes I uncover new treasures that change earlier writings. Happily, it’s usually for the best.

Yesterday, I was thrilled to find a photo of the grave marker for Daisy’s and Will’s first daughter, Mary Edna, who was born and died in Nebraska in 1915. My early evidence suggested that she was buried at Winside, but I found that she was buried at Wayne and her grave is marked with a sweetly carved stone that includes birth and death dates. She was not quite 10 months old. What a sad day for her family when their darling daughter died. With permission from the photographer, Brad Kellogg, I’ve added a photo of the tombstone to the earlier blog, which you can see at this link.

Of course, I had to share it here, too. It’s beautiful.

Courtesy of Find A Grave contributor, Brad Kellogg.

 Searching for sources in Nebraska, I first found the photo of Mary Edna’s gravestone on a web site that’s new to me: nebraskagravestones.org. Started in 2003, it’s part of The Gravestone Photo Project (GPP) that includes most states. Brad Kellogg manages the South Dakota project and also contributes to the Nebraska project. Brad added the photo to Find A Grave, as well.1

Thanks, Brad!


1 Find A Grave, database and images (http://www.findagrave.com : accessed 26 January 2016) photograph, memorial page for Mary Edna Worley (1915-1915), Find A Grave memorial no. # 127943715, citing Greenwood Cemetery, Wayne, Nebraska; photographs contributed by Brad Kellogg.

No comments:

Post a Comment